|Title:||Classroom Aide - EHS CCP-YMCA (Madison County)|
GRADE LEVEL/HOURLY RATE: 13/$10.00 DAYS: As Assigned
Assist with meeting the special needs of the classroom while providing extra support to children and teaching staff. This position is directly related to the unique circumstances of an individual classroom and if those circumstances improve or resolve, the position will end at that time. This non-benefited position is only for the program year in which the job was accepted. Developing strong collaborative partnerships with staff, children and families is essential to the success of this position. High school diploma or equivalent required. May serve as a substitute in the absence of classroom, food service, or custodial staff, depending on qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General understanding of Performance Standards, Head Start policies, the care of young children and Partnership policies.
- Able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
- Able to learn additional skills and knowledge through training, experience and work session with Disability Content, Nutrition and Health Content, and/or Social- Emotional Support Content.
- Must not be a parent of child in the classroom unless approved by Content Team Leader.
- Support the special needs of the classroom
- Specific responsibilities to care for young children who may have various mental, physical or social challenges that require constant attention.
- Support the classroom staff in accomplishing program outcomes for all children.
- Meet all Performance Standard expectations in dealing with children (Discipline, care, instruction, etc.)
- Must be able to lift children up to 75 pounds in weight.
- Must be physically able to move about the classroom/playground and play areas as needed when attending to the needs of children.
- Must be able to manage children with special needs with respect and sensitivity.
- Must be able to communicate with parents and staff concerning the child’s needs and progress in a positive and appropriate manner.
- Encourage interaction with children, respond to the needs and exhibit patience in dealing with physical challenges and/or challenging behaviors.
- Observe and share information with classroom staff and content staff on behavior, progress, and challenges of children.
- Monitor the activity of children to ensure safety and well being at all times.
- Support and understand the vision, mission and values of the Partnership.
- Attends area meetings and trainings as assigned.
- Other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Work Relationships and Scope:
Reports directly to the Center Director with the approving Content Team Leader (CTL) as a secondary supervisor and a strong collaboration with the teaching staff. Center Director will assign initial training, approve timesheets, and provide day to day supervision. Works with the classroom staff to promote the success of the classroom. Works in the classroom with respect and sensitivity to the children’s needs and abilities. Helps children with special needs participate in all the same activities as their non-disabled peers, and works with children to create relationships among their peers.
Measure of Performance:
- Discuss shared tasks with classroom staff (at least weekly)
- Respond to children on eye level using their name (daily)
- Guide children using positive language (daily)
- Maintain a safe physical environment using close proximity (daily)
- Accepts feedback willingly (on-going).
- Represents the values of the Partnership in action and word (on-going).
- Acts with confidence and deliberateness (on-going).
- Maintains confidential information (on-going).
- Responsible for securing a Classroom Partner if out of work for any reason. (on-going)
Work is performed in a classroom setting with minimal safety issues. This position requires sitting, standing, bending, and lifting. This position requires a clear drug test, valid driver’s license, a safe driving record, ABI/FBI Background Check, physical and TB test.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the Center Director or CTL. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.