|Title:||Special Needs Aide - Fort Payne (Dekalb County)|
GRADE LEVEL/HOURLY RATE: 13/$9.14 DAYS: As Assigned
Support the classroom staff with classroom activities or one-on-one assistance with special needs children. High school diploma or equivalent required. If qualified, may serve as a substitute in the absence of the Teacher or Teacher Assistant. As a Special Needs Aide, this individual will be responsible for meeting the needs of the special needs child in a classroom setting. This position is directly related to the assigned child’s attendance in the Head Start program. If the child withdraws and no other child(ren) are assigned the position will end at that time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• General understanding of Performance Standards, Head Start policies, the care of young children and Partnership policies.
• Able to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
• Able to learn additional skills and knowledge through training, experience and work session with Disability Resource Specialist, as well as, Mental Health Resource Specialist if serving as a Special Needs Aide.
• Able to gain additional skills and knowledge through training, experience and work session with Nutrition Resource Specialist if serving as a Food Service worker.
• Must not be a parent of child in the classroom unless approved by Disability Resource Specialist or the Nutrition Resource Specialist.
• Support the special needs of assigned child.
• Specific responsibilities to care for young children who may have various mental, physical or social challenges that require constant attention.
• Support the classroom staff in accomplishing program outcomes for all children.
• Meet all Performance Standard expectations in dealing with children (Discipline, care, instruction, etc.)
• Must be able to lift children up to 50 pounds in weight.
• Must be physically able to move about the classroom/playground and play areas as needed when attending to the needs of children.
• Must be able to manage special needs children with respect and sensitivity.
• Must be able to communicate appropriately with parents and staff concerning the child’s needs and progress.
• Encourage interaction with children, respond to the needs and exhibit patience in dealing with challenging behaviors.
• Observe and share information with classroom staff and disability RS on behavior, progress, and challenges of children.
• Monitor the activity of children to ensure safety and well being at all times.
• Submit a weekly report to Disability Resource Specialist before leaving classroom on each Friday.
• Understanding and user of Microsoft Office suite tools.
• Attends area meetings and trainings.
• Other duties as may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Work Relationships and Scope:
Special Needs Aid reports to the Intervention and Referral Content Team Leader and works with the classroom staff to promote the success of the assigned child (ren). Works in the classroom with respect and sensitivity to the child’s needs. Helps the child participate in all the same activities as their non-disabled peers, works with child to create relationships with peers.
Measure of Performance:
Quality, accuracy, timeliness, reliability, and thoroughness of work assigned as performance; gains the trust and respect of the leadership team, staff, co-workers; respective of children, families, vendors, and public officials; communicates effectively; responsive to the requests and information needs of the Partnership; soundness of business decisions made; problem solver; creative thinker; quality of the example set for other employees, team effort, commitment and loyalty to the Partnership; maintenance of confidential information.
Work is performed in a classroom setting with minimal safety issues. This position requires sitting, standing, bending, and minimal lifting. This position requires a clear drug test, a non smoker, valid driver’s license, a safe driving record, ABI/FBI Background Check, physical and TB test.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this position. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the job. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by the Area Team Leader and Disability Resource Specialist. All requirements are subject to change over time and to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.